Thursday, March 14, 2013

Coffee date.

I was on my way to babysit and knew I was going to be early, so I decided to stop for some coffee.  As I waited for them to call out my order I got a text from the mom saying they were running late.  Good thing I stopped.  So I got my coffee and sat down at a table with two chairs and started reading on my ipad.  As I'm sitting there, in walks this brood of two moms and about 6 kids all under the age of 6.  They are a little frazzled and one of the mom heads to the back to find some seats while the other gets in line.  Well, one of the kids didn't get the memo that they were supposed to either stay in line or head to the back.  No, instead she marched right up to my table, pulled out the chair, put her bottle on the table and then climbed up onto the chair.  I stare at her, just smiling, because what else do you do in a moment like that.  People at the tables around us start to look over.  Finally, I say, "Hi there!"  She smiles and says, "hi." Not shy at all, and then picks up her bottle."I've got milk!" She says, really proud of that fact.  I reply, "I see that. Is it strawberry milk?"  I asked, because I notice that it's pink. "yeah, strawberry." She says with a big grin.  People are just watching us chitchat like old friends.  I'm looking at her mom, making sure she isn't frantically looking for her 3 year old daughter.  She isn't, she's worrying over drink orders and assuming whichever children aren't with her have followed the other mom to a table.  Finally, her older brother comes over, he's about 5.  Cute as a button.  He shyly looks up at me and then his sister and whispers, "come on." to her.  She doesn't listen.  So he grabs her bottle from the table and starts to move back towards the rest of the group he came with.  She looks at me and frowns, like she's asking, "aren't you going to do something?"  I look at the little boy and then her and say, "he just took your milk, you should probably go get it."  She smiles at me, like thats a great idea and hops down off the chair and follows her brother.  The guy at the table next to me leans over and says, "apparently you're good company" with a grin.  I laugh and say, "I guess so."  It was such a sweet and innocent interaction.  The family moves back to the front, once one of the moms has collected all the drinks.  The little brother keeps sneaking covert glances at me, and then turning his head when I smile back at him.  The little girl climbs into her stroller and waves at me as they go on their way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment