Wednesday, July 3, 2013

The kindest words ever said to me.

Sometimes I fear I'm not perceived the way I want to be perceived.  I worry what people think. (come on, I'm only human)  And I take what people say to heart far more often than I should.  So when  a co-worker told me I reminded her of Betty Boop it bothered me, it made me think of a character whose petite and girlie (god forbid).  And it rubbed me the wrong way. And then we were discussing cars and I was asked what my first car was and both girls said, "I could see you in a bug."  I was repulsed at the idea, something so dainty and girlie... so not how I see myself.    

So, a couple weeks later I was talking with that same co-worker, still slightly annoyed at her observations, and so I brought it up and she said something that I thought perfectly described me,
"No, you misunderstood.  You're really versatile. You're the type of girl I could see driving a bug, but just as easily driving a jacked up Hummer."
I loved that description.
She went onto say, "And when I said you reminded me of Betty Boop, remember that she's curvy and petite and wears red lipstick and she's girlie, but she also rocks a leather jacket and rides a motorcycle." She smiled.

So, even though I worried unnecessarily (always).  Her clarification of how she saw me really hit home. It made me feel like she really got me, that I wasn't being perceived in a way that bothered me, that my co-workers actually 'got me.'  And it was the best feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment